Call Us Toll Free: 800-545-7748

Motorola Two Way Radios

Two-way Radios - Frequently Asked Questions

Is an FCC license required to operate two-way radios?

Yes. All business frequencies require an FCC license. We provide our customers with all details necessary for a valid FCC license. We can assist in obtaining a license and will help determine which frequency to use and which service best suits your operation of two-way radios. Typically all the two-way radios we sell would require an FCC license.

What is the range of portable radios and what’s the difference between UHF and VHF?

Coverage is reliant on power, antenna height and terrain. On-site portable radios will typically cover from 1 –3 miles in radius, while wide-area radios can offer coverage up to a 30-mile radius from the repeater site. Due to the characteristics of radio waves, UHF radios generally offer better building penetration and therefore are ideally suited for indoors as well as for areas of high building density (cities). VHF radios are better suited for areas where there is vegetation, where the signal can pass through objects. For this reason VHF radios are ideal for outdoor use. Where the application requires a combination of indoor and outdoor use, a UHF radio is preferable. Your sales consultant will know by your specific application which radio will best fit your needs.

What is IMPRES?

IMPRES is a patented energy system that showcases our design capabilities. The Intelligent Motorola Portable Radio Energy System (IMPRES) combines a "smart" battery with a "smart" charger to provide a host of features to optimize battery life and user convenience.

Who should be interested in IMPRES technology?

IMPRES technology was originally developed for use by government agencies and fleet operators who required a "smart", immediate, reliable and secure communications system. IMPRES technology is applicable to many other types of portable products, so it could be of great value to many original equipment manufacturers (OEMs).


Go to top of page